Infoq: zeromq not first choice.
- ZeroMQ supports only TCP, PGM, IPC and ITC, while nanomsg provides a pluggable API for new protocols such as WebSockets.
- Nanomsg is fully POSIX-compliant.
- ZeroMQ puts every socket in a single thread to avoid Semaphore and mutex. Nanomsg's socket is thread-safe, and the interplay between is modeled as a state machine.
- ZeroMQ uses a simple tree to store pub/sub service. Nanomsg uses a radix-tree.
- ZeroMQ uses a round-robin strategy for load balancing.
- Nanomsg provides also a command line tool: nanocat.
- Nanomsq provides: PAIR, REQREP, PIPELINE, BUS, PUBSUB and SURVEY.